My Blog List

Monday, March 10, 2008

Pencil Roving

Last year my friend Lisa gave me 8oz of Corriedale pencil roving from Crown Mountain Farms for my birthday. I did my best to split the roving into 2 4oz piles. My goal was to spin half of it and get enough for a pair of plain toe up socks.
Here is half (I hope) of the roving:



I'm faily new to spinning but thought I should jump right in. I took lessons last year at Spin-A-Bit in Middleboro, Ma. I'd done a lot of practicing and I was ready for a real project. 4oz of pencil roving is a lot of fiber and it took me a long time to get through it. I eventually managed to get a 2 ply yarn that I'm pretty happy with. I haven't figured out the yardage yet but if I run out, there's always more where that came from.
Finished yarn:




More pictures to come when I finally get some on the needles.

No comments: